myspace web counter

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The New Sorella lamp is here !

A quick post to let you know that I've just received the new Sorella lamp by Nemo Cassina today; Here are a couple of pictures that I took very quickly so they are not very good.  Better ones will be posted in the days to come.  My first impressions are ones of deception.  They changed the design slightly and this was not for the better.  They supposedly had the original mold from Guzzini so I don't understand.  Also, the finish on the lamp is matte/satin finish.  The original was glossy.  It looks strange to me but to the non trained eye, maybe it will look ok.  Strangely, this one is my 13th one.  I wish Nemo Cassina would have done a better job.  Another missed opportunity to reissue an icon to the perfection.   The box is cool though, and shows a picture of Zienia Merton at her desk.  I wonder if she was paid for this !

5 comments:

Cliff Erasmus said...

Oh wow!!! The lamp is completely off from the original. I am a prototype and mould maker and I can tell by looking at the two that there is no way in hell they are using the original moulds for the Sorella. The new one has a completely different shaped hood. The box is nicer.

I'm saving my money and will pass on the purchase.

Thanks for showing us Catherine

Anonymous said...

Can't believe they did it with a matte finish. What were they thinking? Dumb.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Could you tell me where you buy it because I can't find one in France !
Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

http://fabgearusa.com/space_1999_sorella_lamp_b_new_b_.html

Anonymous said...

Why go through the trouble of re-tooling if you don't reproduce the original? The new design looks chubbier and not as angular as the original. It's not worth the $300 they want for it.

They would have sold more if they had just been more accurate to the original.